Saturday 11 January 2014

PHOTO: Meet 9-Year-Old Prodigy Girl Who Succeeded in Her WAEC Exams


Read the story of her success in the interview
with the Sun Newspapers.
What was your experience during the
period of GCE exams?
I studied a lot during the period of the exam. I
even had to study books that were for SS3
students. I also studied the oldest past
questions of the GCE examination that I could
lay my hands on because the older the
questions, the harder they are.
How did you register for GCE
considering your tender age?
I burst into tears when the computer rejected
me as being too young to register for GCE. I had
to increase my age by five years before I could
register for the exam.
What was the impression of other
candidates at the exam centre?
No one believed that I was a candidate let alone
give me the opportunity to write the exam; not
even the examiners allowed me into the exam
hall until I passed the biometric test. Some
candidates were mocking me, others
called me names “over-ambitious girl,
wait for your time” .
What was your Exam registration
number?
My Exam number was 5250802098.
How old were you when you registered
for the exam?
I was eight years old when I was preparing for
the exam. I was eight when I wrote the French
Oral exam then I clocked 9 before I wrote the
English exam.
What was easy and what was very hard?
It was actually easy but the difficult part of the
English exam was the summary aspect.
What were your grades in the exams?
I registered for seven papers but only wrote
two, English and French because I readily had
teachers in those two subjects, dad and mum. I
made C5 in French Language and C6 in English
Language.
Did your school participate in grooming
you for the examination?
My school was not aware I was writing the
exam. But what I learnt from school also played
a part, so in a way, my school participated.
Even my parents got to know about my
registration for the exam after my brothers
helped me complete the process. My parents
who are both Lawyers felt it was a daring joke
considering my age but decided to groom me
for the exam. They had degrees in English and
French respectively before reading Law.
Why did you write only English and
French?
I wrote only English and French because by the
time I made up my mind to register for the
exams, time was not on my side. I had teachers
in those two subjects only: mum and dad.
Do you speak so much French? How did
you make C5 in French?
I don’t speak much French but my dad does. He
had first and second degrees in French before
reading Law. I am the former Miss French of
my school. Every year, my school organises a
French day and “Miss French” and “Master
French” pageant is the main event for the day. I
am always involved in any French related
activity in my school. I am the current Head
Girl of the school.
Was French easier than English? Why
did you perform better in French than
English?
French was not easier than English, but
interestingly, I had more confidence than
ability in French and the reverse was the case
in English. I love French. I am an active
member of French Club in my school. Daddy
always told me Paris is a beautiful city. I heard
of the famous French proverb “See Paris and
die” and I wish to see it one day.
Did you receive special lessons in
preparation for the exam?
Yes I did, in a way my dad who is a bilingual
lawyer and a former French teacher was my
French teacher and my mum who is a Chief
Magistrate was my English teacher.
How did you feel when you passed the
examination?
I felt very happy when I passed the exam but I
was a bit disappointed by the result because I
expected B2 or B3 in English Language.
Do you have a social life?
Yes I have a social life. I love dancing. I win
best dancer’s competition at most birthday
parties and social functions.
How do you relax?
I play games on my dad’s iPad. I relax by
watching television or swimming. I also enjoy
reading storybooks and science encyclopaedia.
What do you want to become in future?
My dream is to be a medical doctor in the
future, if possible be the youngest
medical doctor in the history of Nigeria.
What message do you have for children
of your age?
I advise children of my age to cultivate
the reading culture and be ready to learn
and show seriousness in their studies
because having the right attitude is
better than hard work and knowledge.
When there is a will, there is a way.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment